Welcome to this weeks edition of the ‘Blogging Behind The Scenes’ series. Throughout the ‘Blogging Behind The Scenes’ series both myself and a group of bloggers will be sharing our experiences and advice upon a range of blogging related topics, this week we are discussing apps which bloggers simply couldn’t be without.
Given that we all have Smart phones these days it’s hardly surprising that we’ve become dependent upon Technology and of course the many apps which enable us to do almost anything we so desire at the click of a button or should I say the tap of a screen?
There are a few apps which if I’m honest I barely use then there are others which I simply couldn’t be without especially being a blogger. Here is a short list of my top ten apps which I couldn’t cope without.
- Facebook – This is hands down (along with the Facebook Messenger App) one of my most used apps on my phone. It may sound sad but my friends literally live on Facebook along with my blogging buddies which I often turn to for advice, discussion and general banter upon blogging.
- Twitter – I’ve not always been a ‘tweeter’ but having grown used to keeping things short, sweet and speedy I’m now quite the fan of Twitter.
- Instagram – I flipping love Instagram, it’s super handy for sharing photos to my many social media platforms along with Instagram itself. I really enjoy browsing pictures, it’s like a quick and simple way in which to visually see what people are up to without having to read an endless spiel of text or advertising.
- Email – I remember all to well how I once had to physically sit at a computer to check my email. These days however I can pick up emails whilst out and about and even better my phone lets me know the moment any mail arrives! It’s as quick and easy as sending a text message and whats even better is that you can send photos, videos and whatever you fancy without it costing you a penny.
- WordPress – Being a blogger I use WordPress both on my Mac and of course on my phone. Whether its writing, editing or publishing posts I quite often find myself using my phone whilst out and about to maintain and update my blog without having to lug around my Macbook.
- IFTT – Having discovered IFTT a few years back I am officially hooked. IFTT is a simple recipe generator which connects services such as WordPress, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and such like to make posting images, videos or a one step process. For example upon publishing posts to my blog IFTT then forwards these posts to Pinterest on my behalf. I have also setup Instagram native pictures so my photos display correctly on Twitter and such like. There are countless ‘recipes’ available for users which make life that bit easier in technology terms, go check it out!
- Google – I’m forever questioning myself upon random stuff, Who was it that wrote such and such a song back in the 90s? How exactly do you remove chewing gum from your hair? Where exactly was it that so and so were born? Google is my best friend when it comes to finding answers, not that I’d ever use it whilst out at the local pub quiz… honest!
- Camera – I’m not sure whether or not my Camera should really class as an app but it’s on the list and I use it regularly to shoot and snap shots throughout the day. If it wasn’t for having a camera on my phone I’m sure as hell that I wouldn’t have such an awesome record of my children as they grow up neither would I have countless snaps of shopping lists, random meals I’ve devoured or the floor for that matter.
- EveryPost – Being a blogger I find it rather frustrating having to copy and paste status posts to and from other apps. For that reason I use EveryPost as it kills two, or three or even four birds with one stone. I literally write one post, select which accounts I wish for the status to be shown upon and bish bosh bash my status is then posted to many social media channels at the tap of a button.
- Hootsuite – We cannot be expected to be sat at our keyboards all day long and for that reason many blogger chose to schedule posts onto social media using apps such as Hootsuite. Hootsuite allows bloggers to set up social media posts to go live whilst they eat, sleep, catch up on housework, enjoy a holiday or live actual real life in general.
Having spoken to a number of other bloggers regarding their favourite apps, here are a few of their responses:
“Twitter and Instagram!”
“I couldn’t be without my wordpress app!”
“Instagram and blogger”
“Instagram & Pinterest”
“Hmm tough choice but it’s probably got to be Facebook”
“For me, email! I can’t imagine not being able to check my email on the move.”
“Twitter for sure! Closely followed by Instagram, facebook & wordpress app. Tho if I didn’t have either YouTube or Spotify I’d be devastated!”
“Messenger! My friends in my phone keep me sane!”
“My emails. Constantly replying to companies and I wouldn’t check it on the laptop as I would just forget then they will build up!”
“WordPress app for sure! Let’s me blog on the go which is so handy”
“Instagram and emails apps. Couldn’t live without either”
“My app for uploading my photos straight from my camera.”
“Sky news, great analysis”
“WordPress! When I filled up my last iPhone storage, I bought a cheap phone to tide me over until my upgrade. It didn’t support the WordPress app and it was like torture!!”
“Instagram for sure. It allows me to cross post which is fantastic.”
“Facebook lol all my friends live there”
“Honestly couldn’t be without Disney Emoji Blitz that game is addictive ? On a more productive note Instagram is the one I’m on it loads”
“My banking app, I would always be overdrawn if I didn’t have it on hand to move money around as I need to.”
Should you fancy being part of the series and sharing some of your own ideas or expertise then please feel free to join the ‘UK Parent Blogger Crowdsourcing Group‘ and look out for my weekly topic comment requests, I’d love to hear from you! Alternatively you can get in touch via email, drop me a message via social media or add your comments below.